Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Getting Back to Hockey

I've been in mental over-drive the past few months. I never would've imagined that I'd be spending my summer in a court room worrying if my team would be shipped off to Canada. I'm glad that cruel summer is over now. It's unfortunate that the effects of that summer will plague us this entire season and likely beyond. But hey... we're Coyotes fans, we're used to abuse.

Throughout the summer, I had to listen to people talk about "Poor Jerry Moyes", "Poor Jim Balsillie", "Poor Hockey-deprived Hamilton", poor this, poor that... Don't worry people, they'll all be just fine. If you want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the fans like me. Those who have been there supporting the team and suffer the everyday abuse that results from being a Coyotes fan. If you don't know what I'm talking about, see: The Post All-Star Break Coyotes Meltdown of 2009 or... you can just go read any online forum, discussion, comments on articles, blogs, etc that have anything to do with the Coyotes. This summer was simply the icing on the cake, we've been suffering for loving our team for quite some time.

As President of the Save the Coyotes Coalition I saw, experienced, and dealt with a lot this summer. Now its time to get back to simply being a hockey fan. I'll continue to lead the Coalition, but I'm no longer going to let it be a source of stress for me. I'm no longer going to worry about anyone's expectations. I'm no longer going to let empty seats at the arena ruin the experience of a game for me. No one can say I didn't do my part to help my team. I would be lying if I said the whole ordeal hasn't left me with a sour taste in my mouth regarding a lot of things. I learned a lot this summer - a lot about life, a lot about business and perhaps most importantly - a lot about exactly how cruel and selfish people can be when money and/or power is involved. I could write a book. It would be a best seller. But I'd prefer to just keep writing my opinions and thoughts on this here blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...